Teacher's Pet is the first book in The Kids in Ms. Colman's Class series.
It's the beginning of another school year at Stoneybrook Academy, and Nancy Dawes is not looking forward to it. Her best friend Martha has moved away, so Nancy doesn't have a best friend in her class. She decides she needs a new one so she starts scouting the members of the class, however nobody seems to be perfect for Nancy. After Hannie Papadakis lends her a pet for Pet Day, the two decide to become second-grade best friends.
Ms. Colman gives the class their first project, leaning about pets. She plans a Pet Day where the class can bring their pets from home, and tells the class that at the end of their unit, they can get a pet for the classroom. Eight members of the class vote for a rabbit for the class pet, and the other seven members of the class vote for a hamster. When Karen Brewer joins the class, she suggests a guinea pig, and the class are all in agreement with that. When they get their guinea pig, they name him Hootie.
Pet Day also gives Nancy some stress, as she doesn't have a pet, and Hannie says that bringing in a stuffed animal is stupid. Hannie figures out that Nancy doesn't have a pet, so she brings in her turtle for Nancy to borrow for the day.
Back Cover SummaryEdit
It is the first day of school. All the kids in Ms. Colman's class can't wait. Except Nancy Dawes. Nancy doesn't have a best friend. Her friend Karen Brewer is not in her grade. Nancy doesn't have a pet, either. And Ms. Colman's class is having pet day! Can the kids in Ms. Colman's class help Nancy?
Characters in this bookEdit
- Nancy Dawes (whom the book focuses on)
- Mr. Dawes
- Mrs. Dawes
- Martha (mentioned)
- Mrs. Torres
- Marcus Ford
- Mrs. Springer
- Mr. Gianelli
- Alicia Gianelli
- Ebon Harris
- Linny Papadakis
- Mr. Harris
- Tom Hanley
Places in this bookEdit
- Nancy's house
- Ricky's house
- Sara's house
- Natalie's house
- Stoneybrook Academy
- Noah's Ark, the pet store
- This books takes place before Karen's Witch, as Karen Brewer joins Ms. Colman's class in this book.
- Pet project groups:
- Nancy's potential best friends:
- Pets that the students bring to school:
- Omar Harris: his sheepdog, Buster
- Tammy and Terri Barkan: their frog, Frank
- Hannie Papadakis: Noodle the Poodle
- Ian Johnson: no pet
- Sara Ford: a stuffed chipmunk
- Jannie Gilbert: her cat, Eloise
- Natalie Springer: nothing
- Nancy Dawes: Myrtle the Turtle (borrowed from Hannie)
- Hank Reubens: his dog, Jack
- Bobby Gianelli: his dog
- Chris Lamar: his rabbit